EVENT DATE(S) -
Kemah Triathlon (Sprint & Olympic)
Sunday, October 21, 2018
Kemah Youth Triathlon
Saturday, October 20, 2018
In order to provide the best race experience possible, we've updated our registration platform and added race cancellation insurance! In the case of a race needing to be canceled do to natural disasters, severe weather, or terrorism, you will receive a full refund without having to do anything! More information will be available as we get closer to the start of the season. Our athletes experience is so important to us that we made this switch just so we can protect them.
NEW: EVENT CANCELLATION INSURANCE
Kemah Sprint Triathlon
500-Meter Swim, 12.5-Mile Bike, 3.1-Mile Run
Kemah Olympic Triathlon
1500-Meter Swim, 24.85-Mile Bike, 6.2-Mile Run
Kemah Youth Triathlon - Short Course (10 Years & Under)
75-Meter Swim, 2-Mile Bike, 1/2-Mile Run
Kemah Youth Triathlon - Long Course (Over 10 Years)
150-Meter Swim, 2-Mile Bike, 1-Mile Run
*NEW* Event Age Restrictions
- Youth Triathlon - 6-15 years old.
- Adult Triathlon - 16 & over years old.
Please Note: Ages above are representative of the athletes age on the last day of that year (USAT AGE). This means a number of athletes will be racing at one year older than they are during the race if they have not yet had their birthday come event day.
Event Day Registration
There is no event day registration for any Kemah Triathlon events.
We have a very strict no refunds, transfers, or deferrals policy. Much of what goes into producing an event like this is spent up front and offering refunds, transfers, or deferrals may effect the future of the event because funding is allocated early. Please do not signup unless you are sure you'll race and/or you're willing to accept the registration loss if you end up not racing, for whatever reason. Thank you.
It is your job to frequent the website and check your emails. If you use a work email there is a good chance our emails and website will be blocked by your firewall. Use a personal email address and check the site from home. Like us on Facebook and join our newsletter to get the latest information.
Any changes made to the race are done because we have to, usually out of safety for our participants that arise after the race has been planned. We are triathletes too and do everything to create a better, safer, more enjoyable experience for all of you.
USA Triathlon Membership
A USA Triathlon (USAT) membership is required. You will be able to purchase a one day or one year membership during registration
Kemah SPRINT Triathlon INDIVIDUAL - Registration Fees - 900 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $86
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 7/31/18 - $96
- Late - 8/1/18 - 9/14/18 - $111
- Last Chance - 9/15/18 - 10/20/18 - $126
Kemah OLYMPIC Triathlon INDIVIDUAL - Registration Fees - 850 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $152
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 10/20/18 - $162
Kemah SPRINT Triathlon RELAY - Registration Fees - 50 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $131
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 7/31/18 - $146
- Late - 8/1/18 - 9/14/18 - $161
- Last Chance - 9/15/18 - 10/20/18 - $176
Kemah OLYMPIC Triathlon RELAY - Registration Fees - 25 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $202
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 10/20/18 - $227
Kemah YOUTH Triathlon INDIVIDUAL - Registration Fees - 350 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $46
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 7/31/18 - $56
- Late - 8/1/18 - 9/14/18 - $66
- Last Chance - 9/15/18 - 10/19/18 - $76
Kemah YOUTH Triathlon RELAY - Registration Fees - 10 Capacity
- Early - 12/22/17 - 2/28/18 - $71
- Regular - 3/1/18 - 7/31/18 - $81
- Late - 8/1/18 - 9/14/18 - $91
- Last Chance - 9/15/18 - 10/19/18 - $101
Kemah Triathlon Pre Race Swim/Run Clinic - Registration Fees - 200 Capacity
- Regular - $20
Kemah Triathlon Event Morning Packet Pickup - Registration Fees - 100 Capacity
- $20 Anytime prior to event morning. Must signup before event morning. Limited to 100. Must be registered (paid for separately/additionally) to pickup event morning.
2017 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Sunday, October 1, 2017
- 7:00am - Swim/Run Pre Race Clinic - Checkin Begins
- 7:30am - Swim/Run Pre Race Clinic - Swim Clinic Begins
- 8:00am - Swim/Run Pre Race Clinic - Swim Practice Begins
- 9:00am - Swim/Run Pre Race Clinic - Run Practice Begins
- 10:00am - Swim/Run Pre Race Clinic - Transition Clinic Begins
Thursday, October 5, 2017
- 2:00pm - Packet Pickup #1 Begins (All Events) @ Fleet Feet - Woodway
- 7:00pm - Packet Pickup #1 Ends (All Events) @ Fleet Feet - Woodway
Friday, October 6, 2017
- 2:00pm - Packet Pickup #2 Begins (All Events) @ Fleet Feet - Woodway
- 7:00pm - Packet Pickup #2 Ends (All Events) @ Fleet Feet - Woodway
Saturday, October 7, 2017
- 6:00am - Youth Tri - Parking & Packet Pickup begins.
- 6:30am - Youth Tri - Transition opens.
- 7:00am - Youth Tri - Swim Line forms.
- 7:20am - Youth Tri - Anthem & Announcements begin.
- 7:30am - Youth Tri - Event begins.
- 9:30am - Youth Tri - Awards Ceremony begins
- 12:00pm - Packet Pickup #3 Begins @ Kemah Boardwalk Inn (Ball Room).
- 12:00pm - Non Mandatory Pre Race Bike Checkin @ Race Site begins.
- 5:00pm - Non Mandatory Pre Race Bike Checkin @ Race Site ends.
- 5:00pm - Packet Pickup #3 Ends @ Kemah Boardwalk Inn (Ball Room).
Sunday, October 8, 2017
- 5:00am - Kemah Sprint & Olympic Tri - Parking & Transition open
- 5:30am - Kemah Olympic Tri - Boat Loading open
- 6:00am - Kemah Olympic Tri - Transition closes
- 6:30am - Kemah Olympic Tri - Boats Leave the Boardwalk!
- 7:00am - Kemah Sprint Tri - Transition closes
- 7:25am - Kemah Olympic Tri - Anthem & Announcements begins
- 7:25am - Kemah Sprint Tri - Anthem & Announcements begins
- 7:30am - Kemah Olympic Tri - Swim begins
- 7:30am - Kemah Sprint Tri - Swim begins
- 11:00am (or sooner) - Kemah Tri - Awards Ceremony Begins
PACKET PICKUP PROCEDURE(S) & INFO
- Lookup your assigned race number and swim cap color (both below) before you go to pickup your packet.
- Registered athletes must pickup their own packet and ONLY their own packet. The ONLY exception to this rule is for relay teams. One registered relay team member may pickup the packet(s) for all the team members if they have copies of their teammate's license(s).
- Registered athletes MUST have a valid government issued photo ID to pickup their packet. No exceptions.
- Parents may pickup their child's packet (youth or adult event) if their child is under 18 years of age. Anyone 18 & over must pickup their own packet.
- We do not need to see your USAT Annual License (if you have one). When you registered it either confirmed the validity of your USAT Annual License, charged you for a new one, or charged you for a 1-day license. Whatever the case, all athletes have been confirmed as far as USAT status goes.
ATHLETE NUMBER LOOKUP
KEMAH TRIATHLON SWIM WAVES
- 7:30am - Neon Green Caps - Olympic Distance
All Athletes, Time Trial Line Jump From Bow of Boat
- 7:30am - Neon Pink Caps - Wave 1 - Sprint Distance
Females 29 & Under & Athena's + Physically Challenged (Orange Caps)
- 7:34am - Neon Red Caps - Wave 2 - Sprint Distance
Males 30 - 39
- 7:38am - Neon Yellow Caps - Wave 3 - Sprint Distance
Males 40 - 49 & Clydesdale'
- 7:42am - Neon Red Caps - Wave 4 - Sprint Distance
Females 30 - 39
- 7:46am - Neon Pink Caps - Wave 5 - Sprint Distance
Males 29 & Under + All Relays
- 7:50am - Neon Red Caps - Wave 6 - Sprint Distance
- 7:54am - Neon Pink Caps - Wave 7 - Sprint Distance
Kemah YOUTH Tri SWIM START PROCEDURE
All youth competitors will stand next to their assigned spot in transition with their hand touching their race number that is on the transition rack. We will then call each transition row in order to lineup according to their number (lowest to highest) and proceed to walk the line to the ramp start area. Once on the ramp area the short course kids will go first followed by a short break after which the long course kids will begin. Both distances swim a similar triangle course, from dock to buoy to buoy and back to dock in a clockwise direction with buoys on their right. The run from swim exit to transition is about .1-mile. Shoes are allowed at swim exit for the run to T1.
ADULT TRI COURSE MAP
OLYMPIC DISTANCE BOAT LOADING & PROCEDURE DETAILS
BLUE WRISTBANDS ARE FOR THOSE BOARDING THE COLONEL. ORANGE WRISTBANDS ARE FOR THOSE BOARDING THE FANTASEA. Your wristband should be in your packet pickup bag. The adult olympic triathlon swim start will occur from either the Colonel or the Fantasea, nearly 1-mile offshore. The Colonel (paddle wheel boat) is larger and holds 630 people on 3 total levels. The Fantasea is smaller (dinner cruise boat) and holds 130 people on 2 total levels. Boarding on both boats starts at 5:30am and ends at 6:30am sharp! Do not be late. Plan 20 minutes to walk to the boarding area and board your boat. If you miss your boat your timing chip will be taken and you will not receive a finishing time or be eligible for awards but may still do the bike and run and get a medal and food/drink. We recommend using the restrooms near transition and hydrating/eating prior to boarding. We will not allow shoes or any other items that are not absolutely necessary (wetsuits, swim cap, goggles) on the boat. Anything brought to the docks and left will be donated. There will be emergency bathrooms and coolers of water and Gatorade on the boat but do not rely on them. We recommend (unless it’s a cold morning) bringing your wetsuit and putting it on on the way out to swim start. It takes about 30 minutes to get out there and drop anchor to start. Due to the nature of currents and winds it is some-times more difficult than it seems, to properly position, anchor and steer the boat. This is a accuracy and safety issue. Please be patient and aware that the Olympic distance race may start up to 10 minutes late depending on these scenarios. Once both boats are in position, near the start buoy the first set of swimmers to go off will be the Olympic distance invitational athletes. These are the only athletes that will go off at once as one wave. These are also the only athletes that will be permitted to dive off the boat head first. All other athletes will exit the boat in a time trial manner (3-4 at a time) going over timing mats then jumping in legs spread open while holding on to goggles with one hand. All athletes are advised to jump quickly to a spot they’ve picked as they approach the edge. Do not hesitate. If you do you will be asked to step to the very back of the line. Once you jump start swimming as soon as you pop up. Swimmers keep the buoys on their right. It is typical that current will push you towards the buoys but not 100%. It all depends on the wind. Those that go to the end of the line and do not jump when their turn comes back around will be given up to 5 minutes to decide before they are taken back in to shore. Their timing chip will be taken and they will be permitted to finish the race once they walk from the Kemah Boardwalk back to transition. The Olympic distance swimmers will swim from the boat to shore in a straight line passing 7-10 yellow buoys (winds dictate number of buoys) spaced about 150-200 meters apart. Kayaks, lifeguards, boats and jetskis will be on the course for rest and quick rescue if needed.
YOUTH TRI COURSE MAP
- 8:15am - Olympic Swim Cutoff - 3:00/100m Average Pace
- 9:55am - Olympic Bike Cutoff - 15mph Average Pace
- 11:10am - Olympic Run 7th Street Cutoff - 15:00/mile Average Pace
- 11:30am - Olympic Run Cutoff - 15:00/mile Average Pace
Kemah Youth Triathlon
- 8:00am - Youth Swim Cutoff
- 8:30am - Youth Bike Cutoff
- 9:00am - Youth Run Cutoff
SPECIFIC PARKING MAP
LOCATIONS & ADDRESSES
Packet Pickup (Thursday and Friday)
6590 Woodway Dr
Houston, TX 77057
Packet Pickup (Saturday)
Kemah Boardwalk Inn
3rd Floor Ball Room
8 Kemah Water Front, Kemah, TX 77565
Parking for All Events
215 Kipp Avenue
Kemah, TX 77565
Kemah Triathlon & Kemah Youth Triathlon Transition
6th Street City Parking Lot
602 Bradford Avenue
Kemah, TX 77565
Post Race Area for All Events
6th Street City Parking Lot
02 Bradford Avenue
Kemah, TX 77565
WEARING YOUR NUMBERS (CLICK TO EXPAND & SCROLL)
USAT'S MOST VIOLATED RULES (CLICK TO EXPAND)
IT IS EACH ATHLETE’S RESPONSIBILITY (INCLUDING YOUTH AND RELAY TEAMS) TO KNOW AND ABIDE BY USAT RULES.
- If you have questions before the event please ask via email. As the race is sanctioned by USAT, if you have a race day question you must ask one of the Certified USAT Officials. If you have any doubt please note the officials name to clarify after the event if needed.
- You have 60 minutes after the results have been posted to submit a written proposal to the USAT officials with your request. After that the ruling stands and we hope you can be happy knowing you did your best and had a blast!
- USAT Cell Phone Rules:
On the bike: Cyclists may carry a cell phone only if it is stored in a tool bag, out of sight. It may only be used if cyclist is dismounted. Phones cannot be mounted on handlebars or in view of the rider.
On the run: Must be stored out of sight. Participants who use a phone must step off the course and may not advance while on the phone. The use of the phone while making forward progress shall result in a penalty.
OTHER IMPORTANT EVENT RULES
- Only registered athletes are allowed in transition.
- Once your bike is brought into transition it is not allowed out until transition is reopened after the event.
- You may not move anyone else's bike. Find a volunteer, staff, or official.
- No glass bottles in transition.
- You may only enter and exit through the designated areas. No fence hopping or opening.
- Once transition is closed their will be no re-admittance for any reason until you come in from the swim. Relay team members may enter and leave transition once transition is closed but they are the only exception.
PLEASE READ - VERY IMPORTANT - THOSE THAT DO NOT LEAVE TRANSITION ONCE IT IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. THOSE THAT HAVE FINISHED AND ARE FOUND IN TRANSITION BEFORE IT'S OPEN WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- You must wear your assigned swim cap on the swim.
- You must have your bike frame sticker on during the ride.
- You must have your bike helmet sticker on your helmet during the ride.
- You must have the run bib on during the run.
- If you deviate from the course(s) at any time (making them shorter or longer) you will be disqualified.
- If you choose not to continue or you are disqualified you must alert race staff, officials, and/or timing. Please do not give your timing chip to a volunteer.
- We reserve the right to disqualify and ban anyone that is found to be using profanity and showing unsportsmanlike conduct and/or aggression. This is a family friendly atmosphere at all times. In other words, be nice, be civil, be an adult.
- Alchohol is not allowed to be brought onto Boardwalk Property.
RESULTS & AWARDS
No Limits Timing
For issues with your results, contact Mike Hutchinson with No Limits Timing. The timing chips are disposable but the ankle straps are not. We will take them both at the finish line and recycle the chip and save the strap for the next event. If by chance you pickup your packet but do not end up racing you may throw out your chip but please ask that you mail your strap to No Limits Timing - 3050 Knolin Dr, Bossier City, LA 71112.
Kemah Triathlon Awards - Male & Female - 3 Places Deep - Sprint & Olympic
- Top 3 Overall - Olympic Only
- Top Overall Winners - Sprint Only
- Masters (40 to 54) - Winner Only - Sprint & Olympic
- Grand Masters (55 & Over) - Winner Only - Sprint & Olympic
- 70 & Over
- Clydesdales (220lbs & Over) Under 40
- Clydesdales (220lbs & Over) 40 & Over
- Athenas (165lbs & Over) Under 40
- Athenas (165lbs & Over) 40 & Over
- Relays - All Male
- Relays - All Female
- Relays - Mixed
Kemah Youth Triathlon Awards - Boy & Girl - 3 Places Deep
- Short Course Overall Winner Only
- Short Course - 6 & Under, 7-8, 9-10
- Long Course Overall Winner Only
- Long Course - 11-12, 13-14, 15-16
Invitational and Special Age Group Classifications:
The invitational wave is NOT a pro/elite wave. This means that even though we have a separate wave for the invitational, if an age grouper beats an invitational athletes time, they have beat them and will be awarded an overall placement in the top 3. Age groupers that are brought up into the top 3 overall standing of the race are no longer eligible for age group or masters awards. Invitational athletes are also not eligible to go down into age group.